Oncology Clinical Social Worker, LCSW
Posted on: August 3, 2022
Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for
excellence! Cedars-Sinai was awarded the National Research
Corporation s Consumer Choice Award 19 times for providing the
highest-quality medical care in Los Angeles. We were also awarded
the Advisory Board Company s Workplace of the Year, 3 years in a
row. This annual award recognizes hospitals and health systems
nationwide that have outstanding levels or employee engagement. We
hire people who are passionate about helping others and committed
to being a blessing to our community. Join us, and discover why
U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America s Best
Depending on whether state law permits and under appropriate
supervision (as dictated by state law), the outpatient Clinical
Oncology Social Worker will be responsible for the planning,
organization and implementation of social work services to cancer
patients and their families. The clinical social worker is
responsible for developing patient care goals and treatment plans
as agreed upon by the patient s care team regarding psychosocial
issues, and in agreement with the Cedars-Sinai Oncology Enterprise
Patient and Family Support Program Social Work Care Model. The
position requires experience and facility in brief therapy
interventions, counseling, crisis intervention, problem-solving and
conflict resolution, patient and family management,
transdisciplinary collaboration, biopsychosocial assessments,
navigation, education, advocacy, and community resource
Essential job duties:
- Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. JACHO) appropriate
- Manage and monitor distress screening tools and utilize these
to triage patient needs, create evidence-based treatment plans and
refer them to the appropriate resources.
- Respond in a timely manner to referrals initiated by various
members of the medical oncology care and Patient and Family Support
- Assess the psychological, physical and environmental factors
impacting adult and pediatric cancer patients, and their families
at the Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute, and possibly
Oncology Enterprise Wide.
- Provide brief behavioral interventions to cancer patients and
their families throughout the trajectory of the patient s cancer
- Connect patients with appropriate resources including
financial-aid/cancer specific grants, transportation services, home
health options, community cancer wellness programs, insurance
providers, hospices, Public and Private Benefits, etc.
- Participate in and manage the proper reporting of suspected
abuse/neglect and other government-related reporting such as Child
Protective Services, Adult Protective Services, Office of the
Public Guardian, Long-Term Care Ombudsman, Community Care
Licensing, and law enforcement.
- Advocate for patient rights and self-determination in the
- Discuss palliative care, hospice care, and advanced care
planning with patients and participate in documenting the patient s
wishes in their electronic medical records.
- Complete comprehensive documentation in the patient s
electronic medical record, consistent with legal and organizational
- Evaluate caseload daily and assess achievement of short- and
long-term patient goals, modify goals with providers and the care
team based upon patient outcomes.
- Provide follow-up and outcome communication to the referral
source (oncologist, Patient and Family Support Program colleague,
family, home health personnel, community social worker, health
- Collaborate with the transdisciplinary treatment team of
physicians (psychiatry/cancer rehabilitation and
survivorship/supportive care medicine), nurses, social workers,
care managers, registered dietitians, chaplains, and medical staff
to ensure integration of care.
- Attend weekly inter/multidisciplinary team meetings.
Participate in weekly group and individual supervision. Provide
On-Call Social Work Services. Perform other relevant duties in the
scope of social work as assigned
- Master s in Social Work from an accredited school of social
- Achieved minimum years of social work experience as required by
particular state regulations in a healthcare setting.
- Maintain active registration (ASW) in good standing with State
of California, Board of Behavioral Science required. LCSW
- Certified as a Hospice and Palliative Social Worker
- Board of Oncology Social Work Certification desirable.
- 2-3 years clinical social work experience, including a minimum
of one-year experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
- Experience with Oncology or other complex illnesses care
- Possess excellent assessment skills and ability to implement
brief behavioral interventions.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to exercise objectivity and good judgment relating to
difficult and emotionally charged situations and the ability to
interface effectively with patients, families, providers,
management, and employees of the organization as well as facilities
and agencies in the community, all while maintaining appropriate
- Possess knowledge of community resources, Public and Private
Benefits including Social Security Benefits.
- Experience and demonstrated skill in working with a
- Bilingual preferred.
Why work here?
Beyond outstanding employee benefits including health and dental
insurance, vacation, and a 403(b) we take pride in hiring the best,
most passionate employees. Our accomplished staff reflects the
culturally and ethnically diverse community we serve. They are
proof of our commitment to creating a dynamic, inclusive
environment that fuels innovation.
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully
discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national
origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability,
legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic
characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any
other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a
reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process,
please contact us by email at and let us know the nature of your
request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation
will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only
inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be
responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with
criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance
Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and
well-being of our patients and employees. This includes protecting
our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu).
For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu
vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine
(typically during September through March each year) as a condition
of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued
Working Title:Oncology Clinical Social Worker, LCSW
Department:Onc PT & Fam Sup Svs
Business Entity:Service Lines & Ops
Job Category:,Patient Services,Patient Services
Job Specialty:Social Work
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Keywords: CEDARS-SINAI, Alhambra , Oncology Clinical Social Worker, LCSW, Healthcare , Alhambra, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!