Linux System Administrator
Company: Southern California Edison
Posted on: October 17, 2020
Job DescriptionJoin the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Linux System Administrator at Southern California Edison
(SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you'll be
responsible for supporting SCE's NERC regulated infrastructure
including supporting components, and applications for Power System
Controls (PSC) environment to ensure availability, reliability, and
security, with a focus on Linux Administration. The infrastructure
includes HP and Dell server hardware, virtualization technologies,
server and workstation OSes, such as Red Hat Linux (RHEL7x/8x),
SUSE Linux (SLES11/12), Windows 2008/2012/2016/2019/Win7/Win10),
supporting components/applications, and a variety of applications.
You will perform a variety of tasks including (but not limited to)
hardware and software evaluation, infrastructure monitoring and
maintenance (i.e., OS/Firmware/ Software
installs/upgrades/patches), incident management, change management,
problem management, and compliance. As a Linux System
Administrator, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon
emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to
take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work hard and shine
- Monitor, support, and maintain a large, complex, and NERC
regulated compute infrastructure per predefined standards and
guidelines, industry best practice, including install, configure,
and update/patch OS and OS patches.
- Perform incident management per defined SLA, access management,
problem management, and vulnerability management.
- Perform in-depth analysis to provide recommendations to other
groups using knowledge of infrastructure configuration and
capability and application flows.
- Create and modify operational processes and procedures
- Participate in change management, compliance, and audit
- Provide training and direction to junior staff.
- Ensuring maintenance and support activities are in compliance
with NERC CIP.
- Coordinating activities involving clients, IT teams, and
vendors in the day-to-day operations and maintenance of our
- Providing after-hours incident and maintenance support,
including and scheduled and unscheduled evening and weekend
- Five (5) years of experience in IT, supporting Linux
infrastructure (Red Hat/SUSE).
- One (1) year of experience in DevOps,
- Able to travel throughout SCE's service territory to perform
maintenance tasks as needed.
- Available for on-call duties including scheduled and
unscheduled evening and weekend work.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering,
Computer Information Systems, or similar technical major/
- Three (3) or more year of experience with support Windows
infrastructure or virtualization.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), Microsoft
Systems Engineer (MCSE/ MCSA), VMWare, Citrix, and/or ITIL
- NERC/CIP experience.
You should know---
- Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information
related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and
hiring process, and more!
- Position will require occasional travel within SCE service
- Relocation does not apply to this position.
- This position will require on call/after hour support.
- This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted
position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass
a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once
hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to
gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing
necessary job duties.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so
much bigger. We're fueling the kind of innovation that's changing
an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and
create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers
with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you'll have a
chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact
in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal
Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are
provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job
application or interview process, to perform essential job
functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at (833)
Keywords: Southern California Edison, Alhambra , Linux System Administrator, IT / Software / Systems , Alhambra, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!